Book Terms
(work in progress)
Kinds of Books
trade paperback A paperback book more similar in size and typeface size to a hardcover book than to a mass market paperback, which has smaller pages, and usually uses a smaller typeface. The quality of the paper used in trade paperbacks is also superior to that of mass market paperbacks, which begin to yellow due to the poor quality of their paper in a relatively short period of time. Trade paperbacks are usually published soon after hardcover versions of the same novel, and more and more frequently in place of them, while mass market paperbacks are usually published a few months to a year after the hardcover edition.
 Currently, most hardcover novels are about 6 1/2 by 9 inches in size, and retail for twenty-five to thirty dollars. Trade paperbacks are about 5 1/2 by 8 inches in size, and retail for twelve to fifteen dollars, and mass market paperbacks are about 4 by 6 1/2 inches in size, and retail for five to nine dollars.

Book Structure
front matter The part of a book that comes before the actual text of the book, and introduces the book to the reader. It always includes some of the following parts, but others are used infrequently, or only in some types of books:
half-title page The very first page inside a book, usually consisting of the title of the book and nothing else. In the past, more than now, books might be published by one firm, but bound in special editions by other firms. In such cases the half-title page was used to inform the binder which title was being bound, and was often removed beforehand. In modern hardcover and trade paperback books half-title pages are often used, but in mass market paperbacks the introductory pages are usually used for promotional blurbs.
epigraph A quote, poem, or paragraph placed on a page prior to the start of a book which sets the tone of the story for the reader. It is much shorter than a prologue, which is usually a scene that is part of the story, but set at an earlier time.

Book Decorations
arabesque A decorative symbol, usually abstract in nature, used to create ornamental lines or borders. Arabesques are usually designed as interlocking patterns that can be combined to 'tile' in any direction.
colophon A graphic or typographical symbol usually placed on the title page or book spine to represent the publisher, such as the penguin image used by Penguin Books. (The term was traditionally used to describe a text block usually placed on the after-title page or at the end of the book to post information about the publisher or printer, such as who they are, where they are located and how to get in contact with them, but nowadays the term is primarily used to describe the typographic symbol.)
device Generally a graphic image placed at the start of the text for a book, but sometimes used for an image placed near the heading for individual chapters.
fleuron A decorative symbol, usually floral in nature, used at the start of a chapter or to separate sections within a chapter. Many fonts include fleurons resembling ivy leaves, such as ☙, ❦ and ❧, but not all browsers display them correctly (as you may find in this example).